Gua Sha has roots in traditional Chinese medicine. While Gua Sha has gained popularity in recent decades, it has been practiced and used by people every day all over Asia for centuries. It was passed down from generation to generation and was the first form of treatment for early-onset maladies.
Gua Sha continues to help people today, as this therapy has numerous positive therapeutic benefits. While many modern methods you’re likely to see promoted emphasize the face and neck areas, Gua Sha is used to treat chronic pain all over the body. It is often paired with complementary treatments such as acupuncture. If you suffer from chronic pain, tension, fatigue, or headaches, Gua Sha may successfully alleviate your issues. At Body Mind Wellness Acupuncture, our goal is to help you feel better, heal and balance the body and soul, look your best and laugh again. Call us today if you are interested in learning more about how traditional techniques such as Gua Sha can help you find relief from pain and other ailments.
What Is Gua Sha?
Gua Sha is a healing technique rooted in traditional East Asian medicine. In ancient times when a person fell sick, a slim stone or other household tool was used to massage parts of their body to help reduce the side effects and symptoms of their illness.
The tool was often made out of bian stone, ox horn, or jade and was repeatedly scraped across the person’s skin in one direction. The goal was to encourage blood circulation and dissipate the illness within.
The modern technique is still the same. Practitioners today find it helpful for alleviating pain, reducing inflammation, and increasing circulation and energy flow.
Gua Sha is used to:
- Promote blood circulation
- Promote lymphatic drainage
- Relieve tension from muscles
- Improve fine lines and wrinkles
- Reduce inflammation
- Promote healing of soft tissue
- Relax the jaw
- Reduce muscle tension in the neck
- Soothe allodynia spots
- Aid in overall relaxation
What are the Benefits of Gua Sha?
There are many benefits to Gua Sha, as it can help alleviate many health conditions. It is helpful for musculoskeletal problems, especially significant ones like tightness in the shoulders, legs, and back. It can also relieve symptoms and other conditions such as:
- Migraines – If you suffer from migraines, you may find that your pain doesn’t respond to over-the-counter medications. Gua Sha improves blood flow and can prevent ailments such as migraines.
- Hepatitis B – This is a viral infection that causes inflammation of the liver. Since Gua Sha reduces inflammation and promotes blood circulation, it may reduce chronic liver inflammation.
- Neck pain – Gua Sha technique can improve chronic neck pain and tension.
- Tourette’s syndrome – This condition affects the nervous system and causes “tics,” or sudden twitches. In combination with acupuncture, Gua Sha can reduce these symptoms.
- Perimenopausal symptoms – Perimenopause happens as a woman gets closer to starting menopause. Gua Sha can alleviate symptoms such as anxiety, insomnia, fatigue, and hot flashes.
- Breast engorgement – After giving birth, many breastfeeding women experience engorgement. This is when the breasts overfill with milk, which can be excruciating. It can make it difficult for babies to latch. While it’s a temporary condition, Gua Sha can provide relief from discomfort.
Your Gua Sha Appointment
At Body Mind Wellness Acupuncture, your treatments are carefully tailored to your needs. To prepare you for your treatment, one of our technicians will put oil on the area of your body that they’ll be working on. Then, they’ll gently use a Gua Sha tool to scrape your skin in long, downward strokes. The pressure will gradually increase, and they’ll only apply as much pressure as you’re comfortable with.
Contact Body Mind Wellness Acupuncture
Contact us today if you’re interested in Gua Sha or any of our other treatments. As a team, our goal is to help you feel better, heal and balance the body and soul, look your best and laugh again.