Frequently Asked Questions about Acupuncture
How does acupuncture work?
For thousands of years, acupuncture has been a safe, natural, drug-free method for providing immediate and long-lasting benefits, especially relieving pain. The treatment is common today, with approximately 10 million Americans scheduling acupuncture sessions each year.
Acupuncture works by:
- Releasing natural healing chemicals and opioids – Acupuncture stimulates the central nervous system, which triggers the release of chemicals like serotonin and endorphins into the muscles, spinal cord, and brain. These chemicals can help relieve a person’s back pain. Acupuncture also helps release natural opioids in the body, and these chemicals help lessen any discomfort experienced.
- Removing blockages in the body – Ancient Chinese medicine practices believe that pain occurs when a person’s energy channels are blocked. Acupuncture removes these blockages, allowing the energy to flow smoothly throughout the body and thereby supporting total body wellness.
- Changing the chemistry in the brain – Acupuncture helps change the brain by altering the neurotransmitters that work to stimulate or decrease nerve impulses or by releasing the neurohormones that improve the body’s functioning.
After the acupuncture treatment patients often have the additional benefits of stress relief, sleep improvement, and a reduction in the amount of medication for pain and even needs for surgery.
- Relieves stress – Stress often contributes to back pain. You feel strain and tension in your back when you’re stressed, even without realizing it. Acupuncture promotes relaxation, calmness, and an improved mood.
- Improves sleep – People who suffer from chronic back pain typically have difficulty getting into a comfortable sleeping position, leading to restlessness and sleepless nights. Since acupuncture relieves pain and discomfort, patients report being able to get a good night’s sleep!
- Reduces the need for medication and sometimes surgery – Acupuncture doesn’t involve using any medicines. Instead, the treatment may lessen the need for drugs or surgery.
According consistently helps people with:
Musculoskeletal – Pain:
- Neck & Back Pain
- Sprains & Strains
- Injury from Auto Accident
- Sports Injuries
- Repetitive Strain Injuries
- Reflux Esophagitis
- Adrenal Fatigue
- Premenstrual Syndrome
- Menopausal Syndrome
- Facial Rejuvenation
- Weight Loss
Does Acupuncture Hurt?
When needles are inserted there can be a heaviness, numbness, tingly, achy, distention or electric sensation near or along the meridian’s pathway. In oriental medicine, this is known as “the arrival of the Qi” and this is the indication of activation of the body’s healing energy. In any case, if you experience any discomfort, it’s usually mild. For sensitive patients I use special painless techniques and special needles, acu-pressure, biomagnetic and cupping treatments.
How Many Acupuncture Treatments Do You Need?
Each person is different. Therefore, your severity, symptoms, and circumstances determine each acupuncture treatment plan. During the acute phase or severe pain patients may need more frequent treatments ( 2 times per week) and as their symptoms or pain become less, appointments will then be less often.
Call Body Mind Wellness Acupuncture Today!
Call Body Mind Wellness Acupuncture today! We take the time to listen to your health concerns and provide honest answers and natural solutions. Your treatment is individual and tailored to your specific needs and circumstances. As a team, our goal is to help you feel better, heal and balance the body and soul, look your best and laugh again.